Pages

Friday, September 2, 2022

Medicinal Herb and Pretty Garden Plant - Narrow-leaved Plantain

 

Narrow-leaved Plantain Flowers - image from Strictly Medicinal Herbs

I fell in love with Narrow-leaved Plantain (Plantago lanceolata) when I first saw its cheerful blooms on walks at our West Virginia homestead. The blossoms would appear to dance in the afternoon sun, twisting and turning in the slightest breeze. I called them “Sparkle Flowers”!

They were so pretty, I didn’t recognize the little wildflowers as Plantains. I was used to the Broad-leaved Plantain (Plantago major), a well-known medicinal plant but a larger one that can look a little weedy. When I learned that my "Sparkle Flowers" were Narrow-leaved Plantain, with medicinal properties similar to Broad-leaved Plantain, it was a win-win for me – cute flowers on a medicinal plant that I could slip into my garden beds.

My Narrowleaf Plantain growing as a low borderI grew plants from seed for our new Florida homestead this year. Seeds from Strictly Medicinal Herbs, started in January, were ready for a garden border by March. 




In May, I harvested my first leaves for Plantain Salve. 




After washing the leaves, 






I cut them into pieces and arranged them on my dehydrator screens.





I infused the dried leaves, using the double-boiler method, in olive oil, 



 

strained the oil, filtered it with a coffee filter, and saved it in a mason jar.




In my next post, I'll show how I make and bottle my Plantain Salve, and share some information on its traditional uses.



Read more about safety with herb-infused oils here:

https://theherbalacademy.com/herb-infused-oils/ 

Strictly Medicinal Herbs describes how Narrow-leaved Plantain performs in gardens here:

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product/plantain-narrow-leaved-plantago-lanceolata-seeds-organic/


 

No comments:

Post a Comment