Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Hot Days and 'Forest Fire' Celosias

This year, instead of buying Celosia seed, I used saved seed from my 2020 'Forest Fire' Celosia plants. I had bought the 'Forest Fire' variety from Fedco Seeds in 2019. (Although Fedco didn't carry 'Forest Fire' seed this year, they do offer a similar Wheat Celosia variety, 'Ruby Parfait.')

Wheat Celosia plants thrive during our hot summers in north Florida. I love growing them!





Celosia's light-dependent seeds are easy to start when the weather is warm, and Celosias make great fresh cut flowers and dried flowers for fall arrangements. They can also be added to potpourri for a touch of color.


Celosia plants are big, and they grow somewhat loosely in the garden, so they can look a little wild. But, when the flowers are cut, they can be grouped closely together in a vase for a fun, dramatic look. 







To dry the flowers, I bundle several stems together with a rubber band.












I slip an opened paper clip under the rubber band to make a hook for hanging the bundle. 
Then I put the bundles inside paper lunch bags to keep them dust-free until they're dry. The bags also catch any seeds that fall off the flower heads.
Now I can enjoy my Celosias when the hot days of summer are done!






No comments:

Post a Comment