Pages

Monday, December 2, 2019

Winter-sowing Begins Soon

The winter-sowing season is upon us.

The shortest day of 2019 and the dawn of 2020 will soon be here. I'm already looking at seeds saved in my organization system (more on this later) and seeds to order from my favorite nurseries!

Here are links to some of my favorites:

  • Fedco Seeds: My all-around go-to favorite for vegetables, flowers, herbs, and native plants. Fedco, a cooperative of seed savers, provides excellent seed and service. 
  • Strictly Medicinal Seeds: Highly-respected site. Richo Cech, an authority on herbal medicine plants from around the world, is generous with his knowledge. Browsing his plant descriptions and reading his shared articles is time well spent.
  • Mary's Heirloom Seeds: Informative site with great prices on small orders. Service is exceptional. I order from Mary's when I want seeds fast!
  • Renee's Garden: Very fine seed in varieties well-adapted to home gardens.
  • Select Seeds: Heirloom flowers, many saved from being lost to time.
  • American Meadows: Annual and perennial seeds plus information to match plants to growing conditions.
  • Prairie Moon Nursery: Informative website helps to match native plants with specific growing conditions. Wide selection of quality seed.
  • Southern Exposure Seed Exchange: A new favorite for me. Now that I'm gardening in Florida's Big Bend, I find that I need plants that are well-adapted to my region.

I also like these nurseries:

  • Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds: A stand-by for non-GMO and organic seed.
  • Park Seed: South Carolina nursery. Seeds for unusual plants offer an economical choice for building a garden.
  • Burpee Seeds and Plants: My first seed orders were with Burpee and I still order from them every year. My Lemon Grass seeds from Burpee were very successful.
  • Johnny's Selected Seeds: High quality seeds for serious market gardeners.
  • Victory Seeds: A fun site to browse, focused on home "Victory Gardens."

Some nurseries I've wanted to order from for some time include:

  • Swallowtail Gardens: The available variety is inspiring.
  • Seedsavers Exchange: I hope to order from, and eventually contribute to, this group. A future post will review Seed to Seed, the authoritative source on seed saving by Susan Ashworth and the Seed Savers Exchange.
  • J. L. Hudson, Seedsman: I have a growing list of seeds to order from J. L. Hudson. So many exciting possibilities!
As I begin my orders for 2020, I'll be sure to update this list with any sources I've missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment